The objective of this method is to transfer a liquid-based solution to gel format. This permits easier sample manipulation, long-term storage and enables shipping at ambient temperature.
- Mix the sample with loading buffer and reducing buffer per the supplier's instructions.
- Heat at 90 C for 10 min.
- Allow to cool, spin and load the mixture to the well of a 16.5% Tris-Tricine gel. Do not use a gel with a stacking gel. We recommend loading a pre-stained molecular weight ladder standard in an adjacent well.
- Electrophorese at 100 V for about 10 min, or until the contents of the well have just entered the gel, as indicated by the loading buffer dye.
- Stop the electrophoresis, remove the cover plate from the gel and cut a single band from the lane containing the sample. The band should extend from the top of the lane (the bottom of the well) downward to a point indicated by the lowest band of the pre-stained ladder. When cutting the band use new gloves and a new scalpel blade (see our gel handling guide).
- Place the band into a micro-centrifuge tube pre-rinsed with MilliQ water.